Here are some of the things I talked about in this video:
Now with closed captions! Yay!
The thing about this is that sculptures like these in art history were for the male gaze. Photoshop a phone to it and suddenly she’s seen as vain and conceited. That’s why I’m 100% for selfie culture because apparently men can gawk at women but when we realize how beautiful we are we’re suddenly full of ourselves…
Girls don’t let anyone tell you loving yourself is vanity.
“You painted a naked woman because you enjoyed looking at her, put a mirror in her hand and you called the painting “Vanity,” thus morally condemning the woman whose nakedness you had depicted for your own pleasure.” ― John Berger, Ways of Seeing
1st trailer for Paul Thomas Anderson’s upcoming Inherent Vice
1. My seniors are obsessed with knowing what car I drive. They know I drive a Beetle, but I won’t tell them what color. So two of my kids literally saw a Beetle on the freeway and took a photo of it. It was not me.
2. One of my (favorite) kids popped his head into my room during lunch and said, “I love you!” It was adorable.
3. My sophomores had a heated debate about privilege. It was AWESOME.
4. None of my kiddos have written their papers. That were due Friday. Grr.
5. Disneyland next week. Awesome.